Author of Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy
Welcome! You've stumbled upon the home of my writing blog. Here's where you'll find info on my writing, the writing process, links to fun/cool/awesome stuff, what's on my mp3 player, my blogroll and how to reach me. Enjoy and thanks for stopping by!

Monday, May 10, 2010

To love scene or not to love scene, that is the question.

I'm struggling over whether to include a love scene or just allude to one. I don't have a problem writing them, I do that rather well actually. The catch here is that I don't want my book to be taken as a trashy novel with Fabio on the cover stereotype. Yes, there is a romantic pairing, albeit unconventional, but that's not the main storyline. Any pulse throbbing moments currently are involving a bit of blood spray and some vampiric gnoshing ;) Comments, ideas?

2 comments:

Carolie said...

A little heavy breathing, a little steam heat -- yum! But i think you're right, that if you do a detailed sex scene, it leans towards the current crop of "paranormal romances".

Can't wait to read it!

Sangu Mandanna said...

I think this depends on how you revise and frame this scene. A sex scene can be tasteful, fun and lovely to read in a book (I personally love them, and often think 'when are they gonna do it?' with characters whose chemistry I like). On the other hand, it's really about how you do it; if you go into graphic detail and use oft-used descriptions (words like 'loins', for example) will put the novel in a different genre entirely. So, as a reader, I would say 'have the sex scene!' and as a writer, I would say 'but make it right for your genre!'

Hope that helps somewhat!